Thursday 2 August 2012

You reading me?

I don't read nearly as much as I used to, as I would like to, as I could probably make time for - aside from the weekend papers and subscription magazines and of course lovely blogs, these days I just can't stop long enough to enjoy a good novel (stopping still long enough... that's for another post)!  It's something of a luxury for me,  time that is - the luxury of silence, of time to yourself without the need to fill it with a domestic chore or an errand to run or getting your nails done or a hair appointment.  Nah, just time to yourself to sit still and immerse yourself in the pages of a story that transports you.   Can you imagine?

Last week when I visited the Heide Gallery, (read here), the original site for the gallery, the house in which artists and founders, Sunday & John Reed lived, had a room with 3 walls filled with shelving and books.  Books about anything and everything - religion, art, science, politics, classics... rows and rows of books.  Not arranged in any particular order that I could see, but it really made me consider looking for a new home with a sitting room to be dedicated to books and reading and of course, discussion of said books.

If I did find a new home I would definitely love a space like this one below - a humungous ceiling with a wall filled to to the brim with books and heaps of lovely natural  light!  And yes, it would be mandatory that you need a ladder to reach the very top shelves!  Isn't this room great?  The only thing I would change would be the chairs perhaps - maybe a sofa.  A huge soft sofa like a Flexform Groundpiece with a very deep seat and a wide arm so that I could rest my cup of tea on - yep, I could see myself there - could you?

Or... maybe I just need to join a book club?  hmmm, certainly a cheaper option!  No, I don't have time for that either... grrr.

Okay, let's all go back to our reading then...




5 comments:

C said...

OOOH you are so right! The luxury to have time to read! How I miss it! I try to read a bit while Sienna naps but its never enough to get lost in the story, just a page here and there...
What about a virtual book club?
Any reccomendations on what should be the next summer reading?
:)

The Style Schedule said...

As I was typing away, I was thinking what about a virtual book club - You read my thoughts - a virtual book club sounds perfect! I unfortunately don't have any clue as to what to start reading! I'm totally out of the loop - but the classics always add value.x

The Style Schedule said...

As I was typing away, I was thinking what about a virtual book club - You read my thoughts - a virtual book club sounds perfect! I unfortunately don't have any clue as to what to start reading! I'm totally out of the loop - but the classics always add value.x

Rachel {little bits of lovely} said...

I would be keen for a virtual reading club! I'm a fan of the classics too. I don't read nearly as often as I should but I would be more motivated to do so with a book club! xx

themundaneexplorer said...

great ideas everybody, finding time to read a book is a hard thing to do, and i find it hard to find a book to read that i am interested in.

i wonder if there is a corner in my apartment that i can make into a "book reading corner" with a comfy chair and a small book shelf.........hmmmm

you have inspired me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...